Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Darwin and Kakadu NP, hotels and sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:33 pm
DCAview

Darwin/Kakadu NP

I'm thinking about heading out to Darwin on a June trip to Australia. I've heard that Kakadu National Park is high on the list of places people should see down under.

I'm wondering, though, about time. Is two or three days enough time to get the flavor of the park? If we spend a night in Darwin, is there much to do there?

Also, I'd appreciate any lodging recomendations in Darwin and Kakadu. Thanks.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Unlike U.S. parks and the very few conpact attractions in Australia, I would venture to say that the best way to experience Australian parks, especially those in the top end, "red centre" and west, is to camp and hike them. There is very little that one can capture quickly unlike (most of) Yosemite and Yellowstone (and also Uluru (Ayres Rock) and Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)). Tourist infrastructure near/immediately outside the parks in NT and WA (except Uluru) are generally very limited and basic. The population of WA and NT is much smaller than Oregon's in an area that encompasses most of the lower 48 states in the pacific and mountain time zones (and most of these are concentrated in a very few spots).
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I don't know how much of Kakadu's 'flavor' I actually managed to capture, but I came away satisfied after only a day tour from Darwin (including both boat and plane inside the park).

[This message has been edited by ajnaro (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It is quite an adventure ... just remember to treat it with the respect it deserves. Yesterday someone was killed by a salt-water croc 80 km from Darwin, and his 2 friends were treed for 22 hours while the croc stalked them. This happens every year. Their mistake? Biking by the river and stopping to wash off their bikes. Story is at http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...941695062.html
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DCAview:
I'm thinking about heading out to Darwin on a June trip to Australia. I've heard that Kakadu National Park is high on the list of places people should see down under.

I'm wondering, though, about time. Is two or three days enough time to get the flavor of the park? If we spend a night in Darwin, is there much to do there?

Also, I'd appreciate any lodging recomendations in Darwin and Kakadu. Thanks.
</font>
Two or three days are sufficient. It takes about for hours of easy driving to the main lodge. Accomodations run around AUS $ 80.-
At the lodge itself you can book two to three hours boat trips that are very interesting. The best part though was getting a 4wheel drive in Darwin in order to make a side trip from the lodge. About ten miles out, there are some beautiful lakes with waterfalls and steep cliffs from which one can jump. The driving is quite adventurous on a bush track and in the forest. One has to cross a few rivers and it is very bumpy but, God is it beautiful...

May I add that these spots are unreachable with a normal car.

They give you all infos right at the lodge.

Don't take the warnings lightly. Don't ever waddle into one of those fords and stop rather 200 feet away. Those crocs really mean business.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:12 am
In Memoriam

Sorry I forgot about Darwin.

The city is uninspiring and not worth the trouble. The best is to arrive late afternoon, get a car and check into a hotel (we stayed at the Novotel, not too bad but don't expect wonders)and leave early in the morning for Kakadu.

Just one thing: if you are getting another hotel, and by chance get a room on the ground floor, don't open your door in the morning too impulsively... Check first. We were met once by a big varan who did not like to be disturbed in his morning walk...
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
For those that do not know!!!!!

Definition[n] any of various large tropical carnivorous lizards of Africa Asia and Australia; fabled to warn of crocodiles

Synonyms: monitor, monitor lizard

See Also: African monitor, dragon lizard, genus Varanus, giant lizard, Komodo dragon, Komodo lizard, lizard, Varanus,Varanus komodoensis, Varanus niloticus
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:45 pm

Darwin

How many nights is just right to stay in the Darwin area. Thanks !
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam

Darwin is really not interesting, a day alone is sufficient, but if you plan on going to Kakadu National Park, count at least two to three days. Many things to see.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by magexpect
Darwin is really not interesting, a day alone is sufficient, but if you plan on going to Kakadu National Park, count at least two to three days. Many things to see.
Darwin is a sweet little town, but agree that it is most useful as a jumping-off point for a visit to Kakadu.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Make sure not to miss out on Katherine Gorge or Litchfield National Park while you're in the area as well. It's easy enough to do a round-circuit from Darwin to see all the sights - three nights would be a bare minimum and would be rushed, five nights would allow a more relaxed pace, while still seeing all the highlights (and many people could easily spend a week or more doing the circuit). There's both tours available or you can rent a car, and most of the roads are in pretty good condition (there's only a couple of attractions in Kakadu that aren't possible to do in a regular car, most are reasonably accessible).
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:48 pm

Thanks all for the info. One last question, about how many kilometers would i drive to do the circular route. As I have two options for my car rental.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:03 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
You should be safe if you budget for 1000km all up, that'll give you a buffer for side-trips off the main roads, and general round town driving each day too. Fortunately most roads up that way once you're out of town have no speed limits, so you can get around pretty quickly.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:50 am

Thank you!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Hotels in Darwin??

We will be in Darwin for a couple of nights in August. What are your opinions as to the best lodgings in town? I think it seems to be the Crowne Plaza from what I have seen on other websites. Any other suggestions? Any food recommendations? Thanks in advance for your informed and helpful opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.